Bamiyan Panorama

Bamiyan Panorama

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Afghanistan in the 60's and 70's... with or without burqas?

Here are some pictures of Afghanistan in the 60's and 70's.  I'm focusing mostly on women as you can see because what women wear in Afghanistan is a topic that really matters.

*disclaimer - these pictures do not represent the whole country.  Most of them were taken in large cities, and were not taken by me.*

This picture is interesting because you can see 4 distinct styles of clothing.  From a burqa, to a skirt and sweater. 



A classroom with women and men in it.  Stylish women too, and head coverings optional. 

This picture actually really touched me.  A school arts & crafts show!  Notice there is painting, calligraphy, sewing, embroidery, etc....    This young student, whoever she is, was in school and encouraged to not only learn but to create something beautiful for others to enjoy.  I used to enjoy participating in the exact same types of shows when I was that age. 

Students walking.

School girls in their uniforms.

Another Street Scene

Street market next to a modern building - taken in the 70's 


Now this is an interesting picture - these are some stylish looking people!  I believe this was some sort of event for one of Kabul's radio stations. (70's)


Students in 1980.

Some sort of park or university campus.


 Nice swanky tourist hotel.

The city skyline of downtown Kabul - I think it looks pretty.

I believe this is the Afghan version of Girl Scouts.

And finally, a burqa. I mean..... a woman wearing a burqa. Sorry, but when you look at that outfit you don't think "a woman" you just think "a burqa". I guess that's the point of burqas in the first place! 

To see more of Afghanistan in the 60's and 70's click here.

To see Kabul in the 80's click here.

For information about Afghanistan's Mineral Resources (and precious gems) click here.  You can buy jewelry made in & from Afghanistan!

No comments: